Friday, October 12, 2007

Music: When all else fails, put the needle on the record

I apologize for not posting Part III of On the Fly, Run the Table. Seems writing about other things sapped my brain of juices. Since I have a habit of the unfinished (whether it's procrastination or just inability to complete tasks), I will try my best to post it by Monday.

But you know how promises are: only as good, as the motivating factor to keep them. (Money & Sex are pretty good motivators for most mammals.) So instead, here's some music and thoughts surrounding the choices

M.A.R.R.S. - Pump up the Volume. Late 80's dance hit. My best friend at the time in high school totally loved this one-hitter. He was a classic heavy metaller. It is a dance club mix favorite.



Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down. I love this ditty from 1979. Jeff Lynne became the lesser member of the Traveling (Stoners?) Wilburys - Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Roy Orbison. ELO was an 8-track legend as far as I am concern. Another friend had a 73' Olds 98 hoopty that sucked gas like a $20 whore does - but kept on a runnin', 8-track and all.


Material Issue: Valerie Loves Me. Classic early 90's pop ballad. They started in Chicago - where I heard them in the late 80's on the fringe rock station - but they fell out with God knows how many other bands. Toad the Wet Sprocket and Sister Hazel come to mine...as others.


The Why Store: Father. Another semi-big Midestern act out of Indianapolis. They performed at a frat house I happened to get invited into one night back in 1993 or 94. It was the first time I had to carry my then drunk best friend (6'4", 240 lbs. to the car I was driving, along with two women that wanted a ride.) Neither woman was interested in us...You might notice the Father in the video..supporting actor in "Seabiscuit" and "A Time to Kill", I think.


Gravity Kills: Guilty. Hell, I didn't know they would get into a Harry Potter vehicle. This song is about 12 years old or more.

I was going through a phase in music. Along with NIN, Ministry, Stabbing Westward, Manson, Tool and probably a dozen other fucked up bands of the genre, I listened to the this "cutting edge" garbino. (Only NIN had a message I could "relate" to.)


Stabbing Westward: What Do I have to Do?

And finally....

Johnny Cash: Hurt. Probably a better cover than the original NIN's version. At least, Cash had a sense of what made this song...special enough to record. I can't imagine what it was like for him to do it.


KEEP IT FRESH TO DEATH!!!!

1 comment:

Cooper said...

I'm all for cash.

I'm sure you are stuck on baseball this weekend.